Sunday, July 17, 2011

Transparent/Rubber Egg



Last week was our first full week of school for the year.  I decided it would be fun to start the year off with a new and interesting science project.  I found just what I was looking for at Super Teacher Worksheets, the Transparent Egg.  It was really a fun experiment.  First, I gathered the materials needed.
1 egg, vinegar, clear bowl
Then I had each child hold the egg and answer some questions for me about the egg.
1.  What shape is the egg: oval
2. What color is the egg: brown
3. How does it feel: round -S
like a ball-N
4. What do you think is going to happen to the egg when we put it in the vinegar?: It will turn white.
5. Tell me about vinegar.: It stinks!!!

So I had N place the egg in the bowl and then S covered it with vinegar...


You will notice that the egg will float a bit, I guess that is normal.  Ours stopped floating day 2.  Pay no mind to the discoloration on the egg.  It was -eh, hmmm- dirty! :)

We left the egg on the shelf for 24 hours and came back to observe and rinse off the vinegar.  Then we recovered the egg in the vinegar just as directed...

The egg was pretty funky looking at this point.  I could feel that the shell was disolving.  NEAT!!!

We left the egg in the vinegar on the shelf for 24 more hours and came back to find it like this...

I then rinsed the debris from the egg and LOOK!  you can squeeze it!


And it bounces back!


And when you hold it up to a flash light you can see the yolk floating in there...

You can even bounce the egg on the table.  I have a short video of that I will post below...


If you try out this EGGsperiment I would love to hear about it.  







No comments:

Post a Comment