Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Over or Under - The Great Toilet Paper Debate

This isn't really a post about toilet paper but the thought seems fitting.  I was recently asked "Why would anyone homeschool their children?"  Hmmm. How do you even begin to answer a question that has so many right answers.  The truth is, you can't.  No matter what you do or say, their opinion will always be - their opinion.  I have expressed that it is Gods calling in my life and I am doing this to please Him.  I have said that it is because I feel that my children would learn better in a more familiar environment, where they are loved and accepted for who they are.  I have shared stories of the ridicule and bullying by my peers that I endured as a child, and explained that I want more than that for my children.  Have I made my case?  Has the great debate been settled?  Sadly, no.  In their eye's I am a crazy woman who wears denim jumpers, hides my children in the closet, and keeps them from any "real world socialization".  It is frustrating to say the least.  Now, those of you who homeschool your children will know just what I am talking about.  You have probably had the same discussion with the same close-minded people that I have.  Who knows, you may have changed their mind or settled them (if so I really want to hear that story!).  Those of you who do not homeschool your children may not "get it".  Really, we do not think we are any better than any other mom who sends their child off on the big yellow bus.  To be perfectly honest with you I am sure most of us have days that we are green with envy. The reality is, the great debate about homeschooling is much like that of the toilet paper.  Some people just prefer their paper come from under the roll than over it.  And you know what?  That is ok!  :)


2 comments:

  1. I believe, madam, that you have summed it up quite nicely!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! You definitely know where this is coming from.

    ReplyDelete